Gaby Scanlon, 18, had to have her stomach removed after she drank a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen while out with a group of her friends.
Scanlon was rushed to a hospital emergency room in Lancaster, England where doctors diagnosed her with a perforated stomach, in addition to other personal injuries. In an effort to save her life, doctors performed emergency surgery to remove her stomach.
Liquid nitrogen is commonly used by bartenders and chefs to adorn drinks and dishes because it creates a fog-like appearance when exposed to air. It is also used to rapidly freeze things, such as ice cream.
However, the substance is highly dangerous in its liquid form. It is often used for industrial purposes and removing warts. When exposed to the skin, it can cause frostbite.
When liquid nitrogen is consumed in its liquid state, it turns into a gas and causes the stomach to swell and burst, like in Scanlon’s case.
The bar where Scanlon consumed the liquid nitrogen has stopped selling any drinks containing the substance.
Scanlon is still recovering from her personal injuries in the hospital, but is listed in stable condition.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of Massachusetts medical malpractice or another type of doctor negligence, please call our Boston, MA medical malpractice lawyers, Boston personal injury lawyers or Massachusetts wrongful death attorneys today at 617-787-3700 for your free and confidential consultation.
Our Massachusetts medical mistake attorneys, Massachusetts personal injury attorneys and Boston, MA wrongful death lawyers work to ensure that you and your family receive the full, fair and just personal injury damages or wrongful death damages to which you may be entitled under the facts of your case.
Please call our expert Massachusetts attorneys 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at 617-787-3700 or send the expert Boston, MA personal injury lawyers at our Boston, Massachusetts law office an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let us start helping you today. Call 617-787-3700. Your needs are our top priority!